Surrender?

I’m seriously thinking of packing it in.

I mean, I will probably continue to write for my own amusement, since I need to fill my time somehow; but I am coming to the conclusion that it would be folly to try to publish anything further. The public simply does not want the kind of stuff I write. I have seen the kind of stuff that does sell, and it doesn’t appeal to me at all; so it does not stand to reason that what appeals to me would sell.

I am more disheartened than I can say.

EDIT, 27 August: I have ‘received a communication’ to the effect that it is my business to carry on, though no favourable outcome is promised. Cf. the Scriptural injunction against ‘hiding one’s light under a bushel’. My light needs no bushel; I could probably hide it comfortably under a thimble; but that is no excuse for doing so.

I thank all of you who responded with encouraging words. There appear to be more than 3.6 of you, a fact that confuses and astonishes me; but I never did master the New Math.

Comments

1. Garth Rose says:

Nonsense. *I* want to read what you write, and so do the rest of your loyal 3.6 readers. If you’re going to write anyway, why not share it?

This sounds like depression talking. I’d rather hear what Tom has to say.

2. Mary Catelli says:

Wise not to make any decisions in this mood, which I’ve had a time or two myself.

I hope to at least see Superversive.

• Garth Rose says:

Indeed. I’ve read a book by a priest in which he said, “If you remember nothing else from this book, remember this: That making major decisions in a state of desolation is asking the Devil to be your spiritual director.”

3. Eric Schmidt says:

You have made similar posts in the past, and each time ended up continuing.

4. By Grabthar’s hammer…

5. Mark Harbinger says:

Being an optimist, I offer my go-to bromide: “Smile. It gets worse.”

6. Please don’t throw in the towel, Mr. Simon. You have much to offer the rest of us, and who really knows what the future will hold? Tomorrow might be a very different place.

7. Not meeting with material success in materially evil times is no cause for sorrow. On the contrary, it can be a badge of honor.

It could be that the world does not deserve your writing. All the more reason to produce more of it.

8. I like your stuff.

9. E. Crook says:

Since you seem to be in a miserable mood, I think I ought to mention that I (and several friends) have been using your essays to kick off our critique group lately. So I know you have at least three ardent admirers in my neck of the woods.
    I, at least, enjoy your work, and was hoping to see more episodes of Angel’s Keep and the Superversive collection at least.

10. Bill GABLE says:

Writing Down the Dragon brought far more depth to my appreciation of Tolkien then you could know. Lord Talon’s Revenge still elicits chuckles. Please keep up the good fight.

11. Stephen K says:

I love your writing, Mr. Simon.

12. Garth Rose says:

I note that your communication, or at any rate your post about it, occurred on the feast of St. Monica. Someone well known for never giving up, despite all appearance of failure!